Data Mining / Analytic News, Jun 2012
- Women in Analytics, Data Science, Data Mining? - Jun 28, 2012.
While most data scientists are men, there is a growing number of women in this field.
- New Poll: Selling your Facebook data to advertisers? - Jun 25, 2012.
To justify its huge valuation, Facebook needs to monetize the data it has on its users. One idea is for Facebook to become the world's first information market - this is the topic of current poll. Please vote!
- Top news for Jun 17-23: European big data companies; Predict which blogs someone will like - Jun 24, 2012.
European Big Data Companies; Can You Predict Which Blogs Someone Will Like?
Top jobs: VP Applied Research/Analytics, The Hartford; Data Scientist at Collective, NYC.
- What Not to Do: Examples of Business Analytics Failures - Jun 18, 2012.
There are many analytics successes, but we rarely hear about failures. Here are some stories and examples of what NOT to do in business analytics.
- Top news for Jun 10-16: Data Science Cartoon; ML-Flex: free machine learning software - Jun 17, 2012.
Data Science Cartoon; Poll Results: Top Analytics, Data Mining software used; ML-Flex: free machine learning software;
Top jobs: Postdoc in data mining at IDSIA, Switzerland; Sr Data Analyst at Akamai, Cambridge, MA.
- Data Science Cartoon - Jun 15, 2012.
Our data analysis experts can't read your minds. You're going to reach your own decision regarding hiring us ...
- Get Paid for Your Data on Facebook - Jun 13, 2012.
NYU Professor propose that Facebook create world information market, where Facebook users get paid in exchange for permission to provide selective information to businesses.
- Top news for Jun 3-9: YarcData $100K Big Graph Challenge; SIGKDD Awards; Knight $5M Data Challenge - Jun 10, 2012.
YarcData $100K Big Graph Analytics Challenge; Poll Results: Top Analytics, Data Mining software; Knight $5M Data Challenge
Top jobs: Postdoc in machine learning, bioinformatics at SUNY Buffalo; Interns in Big Data, ML, DM at Telefonica Research, Madrid.
- Decline Effect in Business Analytics - failure to replicate? - Jun 4, 2012.
We can improve by learning from failures, but there are very few documented examples of business analytics failures, especially failures to replicate, where a business effect grows smaller or disappears the second time. Such examples are probably common, but people don't like to publish them. Do you know of such examples?
- Top news for May 27 - Jun 2: Top Analytics, Data Mining software; Facebook Data Mining - Jun 3, 2012.
Poll Results: Top Analytics, Data Mining software used; Polygraph Facebook Data Mining; Mass. Big Data Initiative
Top jobs: PhD pos. in ML, data analysis and Vis. at Aalto U; Interns in Big Data, ML, data mining at Telefonica Research, Madrid
- 2012 ACM SIGKDD Innovation and Service Awards: The Nobel of Data Mining - Nominations due July 1, 2012 - Jun 2, 2012.
SIGKDD Innovation and Service Awards recognize outstanding technical and service contributions to the KDD field: Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science, Knowledge Discovery in Data, and Predictive Analytics. Nominations are due July 1.
- Top news, jobs in May: Poll: Analytics, Data Mining Software Used? No Big Money in Big Data? - Jun 1, 2012.
Poll: Analytics, Data Mining, Big Data Software Used?; Is There Big Money in Big Data?; Online courses on Text Analytics
Top jobs: Researchers at Huawei Noah's Ark Lab, Hong Kong; Chief Algorithm Officer/Data Scientist at Allazo Health
- Additions to KDnuggets in May - Jun 1, 2012.
New consulting companies, datasets, education certificates, meetings, publications, software, analytics solutions for education