- Unicorn Data Scientists vs Data Science Teams - Dec 30, 2013.
A recent post has generated an intense discussion about finding "unicorn" data scientists with a combination of all the needed skills, or whether that skillset is best filled by a team. Here are the highlights, including a proposal how to train well-rounded data scientists.
- Alpine Data Labs 2014 Predictions - Dec 27, 2013.
Data science is permeating every facet of our daily lives - from our culture to our classrooms. Look for data science to make an even greater impact in 2014.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 25-26: The emergence of Apache Spark; 5 Free Excel add-Ins for #BigData - Dec 27, 2013.
The emergence of Apache Spark is a key development for Big Analytics; 5 Free Excel add-Ins to help Marketers analyze #BigData; Key Skills of Top @kaggle Competitors: R (90%), Random Forests (60%); Netflix open sources Suro: data traffic "cop" which directs #BigData to destination
- Highlights of Data Marketing 2013 Conference in Toronto - Dec 26, 2013.
Key themes were: Customer Obsessed Marketer, Segment of One, SoLoMo (Social, Local and Mobile), and Big Data - actionable insights and decision making.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 23-24: New book: Data Mining Applications with R; Data Scientist catches up with Statistician - Dec 25, 2013.
New book: Data Mining Applications with R; Data Scientist catches up with Statistician; What is Wrong with the Definition of Data Science; Making sense of #BigData : mining Twitter names
- What is Wrong with the Definition of Data Science - Dec 24, 2013.
A veteran statistician argues that 3 different areas usually included in "Data Science" require dramatically different, skills, education, and training with very little overlap.
- AnalyticsWeek 200 Thought Leaders in Big Data and Analytics - Dec 24, 2013.
AnalyticsWeek produces the list of 200 Thought Leaders on Tweeter in Big Data and Analytics, which includes the usual suspects but also new names.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 20-22: Data Mining Book Review: "Visualize This"; Top NYU Prof. on Data Science and Prediction - Dec 23, 2013.
Data Mining Book Review: "Visualize This" from @flowingdata; Top NYU Professor Vasant Dhar on Data Science and Prediction - what do they mean; Analysis reveals #MOOC problems: student participation drops dramatically.
- New book: Data Mining Applications with R - Dec 23, 2013.
Covers 15 real-world applications on data mining with R, including R code and data, covering business background and problems, data extraction and exploration, data preprocessing, modeling, model evaluation, findings and model deployment.
- Vasant Dhar on "Data Science and Prediction" - Dec 21, 2013.
What does "Data Science" and #BigData mean? Is there something unique about it? What skills do "data scientists" need to be productive in a world deluged by data? What are the implications for scientific inquiry?
- FICO Lessons in Developing, Applying Decision Modelling Methods - Dec 21, 2013.
Analytically sophisticated businesses combine predictive analytics and decision models with optimization to solve complex problems and achieve good results. Top FICO expert explains.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 18-19: Poll Results: R has a big lead, Python is gaining; Who are Data Scientists? - Dec 20, 2013.
Poll Results: R has a big lead, but Python is gaining; Who are Data Scientists and why they are or are not unicorns; 2014 Predictions: Machine-generated data will grow; #BigData + Big Pharma = Big Privacy Catastrophe
- KDnuggets 13:n31, R leading, Python gaining; Top LinkedIn Groups, re-analyzed; Top 2013 Stories - Dec 19, 2013.
Poll results show that R has a big lead, but Python is gaining among data scientists; We re-analyze top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data and Data Science; Top 2013 Stoeries on KDnuggets and more.
- Predictive Analytics in 2014: Monetizing, Not Managing, Big Data - Dec 18, 2013.
Guest blog of SkyTree CEO Martin Hack looks at 2 Key Trends in Predictive Analytics in 2014: high performance machine learning will penetrate the mainstream, and privacy issues associated with Big Data will be debated by business owners and consumers alike.
- Hurwitz Victory Index Survey on Advanced Analytics - Dec 18, 2013.
Help create a Victory Index on Advanced Analytics, take part in a survey of advanced analytics and get the results.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 16-17: A billion rows per second in Python; #BigData Dashboard Dizziness - Dec 18, 2013.
A billion rows per second in Python; #BigData Dashboard Dizziness - what you get after careful consideration of 437 charts; Import.io turns any website into a database; 2014 Predictions: Machine-generated data
- Highlights of IEEE ICDM 2013 International Conference on Data Mining, Dallas - Dec 16, 2013.
Highlights of the IEEE ICDM 2013 Conference on Data Mining: Good organization in icy conditions, How to do clustering in high dimensions, Discovering unexpected sequential patterns, and perspectives on #BigData.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 13-15: Facebook hires Deep Learning expert Yann LeCun; 2014 World Cup Group Stage - Dec 16, 2013.
Facebook hires Deep Learning expert Yann LeCun to head its new AI lab; New Data Mining and Machine Learning books from CRC Press - Save 25%; Import.io turns any website into a database; 2014 World Cup Group Stage, per ESPN: Brazil, Argentina, Germany, France advance
- New Book on RapidMiner - Save 25% - Dec 13, 2013.
Written by leaders in the data mining community, this new book provides an in-depth introduction to the application of data mining and business analytics techniques and tools in scientific research, medicine, industry, commerce, and diverse other sectors.
- New Data Mining and Machine Learning books from CRC Press - Save 25% - Dec 13, 2013.
Save 25% on new books Data Mining and Machine Learning books, including Multilinear Subspace Learning, Bayesian Programming, Computational Business Analytics, and Multi-Label Dimensionality Reduction.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 11-12: More fuel thrown into Data Science Wars: Python vs R; Data Science Toolbox environments - Dec 13, 2013.
More fuel thrown into Data Science Wars: Python vs. R; Data Science Toolbox virtual environments for command-line data science; T-index is like academic H-index; Movie Analytics in India: Dhoom 3 to Don 3
- LIONbook Chapter 17: Semi-supervised learning - Dec 12, 2013.
The LIONbook on machine learning and optimization, written by co-founders of LionSolver software, is provided free for personal and non-profit usage. Chapter 17 looks at Semi-supervised learning.
- LIONbook Chapter 16: Visualizing Graphs and Networks - Dec 12, 2013.
The LIONbook on machine learning and optimization, written by co-founders of LionSolver software, is provided free for personal and non-profit usage. Chapter 16 looks at Visualizing graphs and networks by nonlinear maps.
- Movie Analytics in India: Dhoom 3 to Don 3 - Dec 11, 2013.
Predictive Analytics and Game theory can help answer questions like Can Dhoom 3 or Don 3 be as successful as Mother India, or which actor should have the main role for movie to be successful.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 9-10: European Travel Patterns; Cloudera resources for Data Science beginners - Dec 11, 2013.
European Travel Patterns; Cloudera resources for Data Science beginners; New Book: A Programmer Guide to Data Mining - free download; 3 stages of Big Data to help clarify the confusion
- KDnuggets 13:n30, R / Python switch? 3 Stages of Big Data; Statistics disconnect - Dec 11, 2013.
New Poll: Did you switch between R and Python; 3 Stages of Big Data; Why statistical community is disconnected from Big Data and how to fix it; Why RapidMiner? By Usama Fayyad; and more analytics/data mining news
- New Book: RapidMiner: Data Mining Use Cases and Business Analytics Applications - Dec 10, 2013.
This book provides an in-depth introduction to the application of data mining and analytics techniques in science, medicine, industry, commerce, and other sectors.
- New Book: A Programmer Guide to Data Mining - Free Download - Dec 9, 2013.
New book "A Programmer Guide to Data Mining" - a guide to practical data mining, collective intelligence, and building recommendation systems by Ron Zacharski. Free download of all chapters.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 6-8: A public list of R freelancers; Top 10 Big Ideas in Harvard Statistics Class - Dec 9, 2013.
A public list of R #rstats freelancers - great resource; Top 10 Big Ideas in Harvard Statistics Class; 3 stages of Big Data to help clarify the confusion; Trifacta, maker of #BigData platform for machine-learning powered data visualization
- Top 10 Big Ideas in Harvard Statistics 110 Class - Dec 6, 2013.
The Big Ideas in Statistics include: Conditioning (the soul of statistics), Random variables and random vectors, Stories, Symmetry, Linearity of expectation, LOTUS, Variance, covariance, and correlation.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 4-5: R is great for stats, Python for more complex tasks; How Facebook own algorithm is killing it - Dec 6, 2013.
R is great for stats on one file, but for more complex data analysis use Python; How Facebook own Edgerank algorithm is killing it; Gates Foundation awards grants for using Big Data for Social Good; Preview of book Data Mining Applications with R
- Statistical Community and Big Data disconnect: Discussion Highlights - Dec 5, 2013.
Highlights from a vigorous discussion on Statistical community and Big Data, including: Are data scientists reinventing statistics? Did statisticians miss the boat in 1990s? Is more data always better? Statistics 2.0?
- Statistical Golden Rule - Dec 5, 2013.
Bruce Ratner examines how to combine skills acquired by experience (art) and a technique that reflects a precise application of fact or principle (science).
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 2-3: Google Deep Learning is outsmarting humans; Udacity Online Degree program for Data Science - Dec 4, 2013.
Google "Deep Learning" is outsmarting its human employees; Udacity Creates Online Degree Program For Data Science; JSON and #BigData will Shape the Internet of Things: RESTful APIs a key component; The Case Against #BigData In Sports
- Lecture: Business Process Analytics in Practice - Dec 3, 2013.
A presentation about current research in the areas of process analytics, intelligence, and process mining.
- Yahoo Lecture: Big Data, Global Diplomacy and Digital Heartbeat, by Kalev Leetaru - Dec 2, 2013.
The 2013 Yahoo! Fellow Kalev Leetaru talks about Big Data, Global Diplomacy and Digital Heartbeat and application of Big Data to understanding international relationships.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 27 - Dec 1: Open Source Data Science MS Curriculum; 5 ways to handle #BigData in R - Dec 2, 2013.
Open Source Data Science MS Curriculum; 5 ways to handle #BigData in R; Yahoo SAMOA, Open Source Platform Mining Big Data Streams; 3 Levels of Data: fits in Excel; fits in RAM; a world of pain
- CIO Review 20 Most Promising Data Analytics Companies - Dec 1, 2013.
CIO Review special report on 20 Most Promising Data Analytics Companies, which cover Big Data, real-time insights, enterprise analytics, employee analytics, health care, and even neuroscience based data analytics.