KDnuggets™ News 14:n22, Aug 20
Features | News | Opinions | Interviews | Webcasts | Courses | Meetings | Jobs | Publications | Tweets | Quote
- Four main languages for Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science - Aug 18, 2014.
New KDnuggets Poll shows the growing dominance of four main languages for Analytics, Data Mining, and Data Science: R, SAS, Python, and SQL - used by 91% of data scientists - and decline in popularity of other languages, except for Julia and Scala.
- Top Research Leaders in Data Mining, Data Science, and KDD - Aug 16, 2014.
We identify the top researchers in Data Mining, Data Science, and KDD. Jiawei Han, Philip Yu, and Christos Faloutsos remain the leaders, but they are joined by many fast rising young researchers - the leaders of tomorrow.
- Interview: Pedro Domingos: the Master Algorithm, new type of Deep Learning, great advice for young researchers - Aug 19, 2014.
Top researcher Pedro Domingos on useful maxims for Data Mining, Machine Learning as the Master Algorithm, new type of Deep Learning called sum-product networks, Big Data and startups, and great advice to young researchers.
- Interview: Pedro Domingos, Winner of KDD 2014 Data Mining/Data Science Innovation Award - Aug 15, 2014.
We discuss the differences between Machine Learning, Data Mining, and Statistics; the importance of cost-sensitive classification; social network mining and identifying influencers; mining data streams, and more.
- Top Analytics and Big Data trends ahead of Strata Hadoop NYC Conference - Aug 14, 2014.
Top trends in Analytics and Big Data named by our readers ahead of Strata + Hadoop NYC conference include Deep Learning, Apache Spark, democratization of analytics, and real-time processing of Big Data.
- Top stories for Aug 10-16: Certificates in Analytics, Data Mining; OpenML: Share, Discover and Do Machine Learning - Aug 17, 2014.
Certificates in Analytics, Data Mining, and Data Science; OpenML: Share, Discover and Do Machine Learning; Top 10 References for applying Big Data and Analytics in Business; Data is not a fad.
- Experiment: Toward a Thermostatistics for Complex Systems - Aug 14, 2014.
Crowdfunding experiment: a data scientist at Radius.com believes that physics for complex systems and Big Data is just around the corner, and asks you to support his experiment on open-source Complex Thermostatistics.
- Recommendations for Big Data Success for the Long Haul - Aug 15, 2014.
Overcome common big data challenges by identifying the right POC (proof-of-concept) use case for Hadoop and leveraging its success to build executive and stakeholder buy-in.
- IBM Watson's Next Step: Partnership with Universities - Aug 15, 2014.
Students from ten top tech universities now have access to Watson. For students at New York University interested in Watson, Capstone Project Course would be their first choice.
- Data is not a fad - Aug 14, 2014.
Learn why Big Data drives the need for companies to adopt data leadership and why Chief Data Officers are likely to join the C-suite in large organizations.
- Interesting Social Media Datasets - Aug 13, 2014.
Learn about some of the many interesting social media datasets available to you, some of which are quite new, and the different features and challenges they offer you for your next big data science project.
- Talent Analytics Projects: “Fishing” vs Solving Business Problems - Aug 13, 2014.
We examine a vague "look for something interesting in the HR data" vs a narrowly focused "business win" effort and show why the second approach is preferable, and what needs to be added to HR data for success.
- Interview: John Funge, CTO, Knack on Why Gaming is the Next Big Thing for Hiring - Aug 18, 2014.
We discuss the gamification of hiring, founding story of Knack, applications of Predictive Human Analytics, challenges, Big Data tools and technology used, key qualities sought in data scientists, career advice and more.
- Interview: Pallas Horwitz, Blue Shell Games on Why Gaming Analytics is Not a Piece of Cake - Aug 15, 2014.
We discuss the challenges of gaming analytics, most desired missing data, current trends, career advice, important soft skills in data science and more.
- Interview: Pallas Horwitz, Blue Shell Games on Why Data Science is So Critical for Gaming Studios - Aug 14, 2014.
We discuss the role of data science at Blue Shell Games, the importance of "Lean Data", key metrics for online games, cross-product projects and optimizing meeting the data needs across an organization.
Webcasts and Webinars
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science - Aug 19 and beyond - Aug 18, 2014.
Data Mining: Failure To Launch, Smart Metering, Hadoop, Data Science at the Command Line, Personalized Healthcare, Modern Regression Analysis Techniques, and more.
- Statistics.com Online Courses and Certificate Programs in Data Science - Aug 18, 2014.
Online courses to accelerate your career or help upgrade the skills of your team members. Learn and get answers from top experts who authored hundreds of books and have real industry.
- Statistical Learning and Data Mining III, Boston, Oct 27-28 - Aug 14, 2014.
Taught by top Stanford professors and leading statisticians Trevor Hastie and Robert Tibshirani, this course presents 10 hot ideas for learning from data, and gives a detailed overview of statistical models for data mining, inference and prediction.
- Data Analytics Week, Las Vegas, Nov 10-13 - Surprise Keynote Speaker - Aug 19, 2014.
Data Analytics Week, Nov 10-13, 2014 in Las Vegas has confidently departed from the term "big data" because regardless of the size of your data, there is powerful information to unlock. KDnuggets discount.
- Data Visualization Summit, Boston, Sep 25-26 - Aug 14, 2014.
Join data visualization experts, visual designers and business executives and learn from 25+ speakers from companies including StubHub, Citi, The Washington Post, USA Today, Boston Globe, Liv Nation, PayPal and more.
- ID Analytics: Director, Data Science
- Starcom: Director, Analytics and Development
- Hitachi: Research Scientist
- Air Liquide: Research Scientist
- Apple: Sr. Software Engineer, Machine Learning
- Chubb: Market Analytics / Predictive Modeling Specialist, Commercial Strategic Marketing
- Panel Report: A Data Scientist Guide to Startups - Aug 19, 2014.
A detailed report on the KDD-2013 panel with 4 leading data scientists and entrepreneurs - Ron Bekkerman, Oren Etzioni, Usama Fayyad, and Claudia Perlich, discussing the major issues in Big Data and Data Science startups.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 15-17 - Aug 18, 2014.
The top 5 Questions a Data Scientist should ask during a job interview;
Top Research Leaders in Data Mining, Data Science, and KDD;
Least popular jobs for big data practitioners;
Graduate Programs in #BigData Analytics and Data Science.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 13-14 - Aug 15, 2014.
xkcd: Boyfriend as a statistically "significant" other;
Interesting Social Media Datasets;
Sibyl: a System for Large Scale Machine Learning at Google;
We don't need such hype: "Big Data scientists get 100 recruiter emails a day".
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 11-12 - Aug 13, 2014.
The World Bank sums up the entire global economy in one chart;
The new heroes of #BigData and Analytics - Chief Data Officers;
Top 10 References for applying Big Data and Analytics in Business;
Watch: "Building Recommender Systems" by Netflix Research/Eng Director.