KDnuggets™ News 14:n31, Nov 25
Features | Opinions | Interviews | Reports | News | Webcasts | Jobs | Academic | Publications | Tweets | CFP | Quote
- Update: Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science - Nov 23, 2014.
We update our analysis of top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science. The largest groups grow faster than smaller ones, the number of discussions is growing, but engagement and comments are declining. Are groups reaching saturation?
- Cartoon: Thanksgiving, Big Data, and Turkey Data Science - Nov 24, 2014.
We revisit KDnuggets Thanksgiving cartoon, which examines the predicament of one group of fowl Data Scientists.
- 9 Must-Have Skills You Need to Become a Data Scientist - Nov 22, 2014.
Burtch Works details the top 9 data science skills that potential data scientists must have to be competitive in this growing marketplace from the perspective of a recruiter.
- Companion Website for "Data Mining and Analysis: Fundamental Concepts and Algorithms" - Nov 19, 2014.
Supplementary materials for the textbook Data Mining and Analysis: Fundamental Concepts and Algorithms are now available online and include figures, slides, datasets, videos, and more. Download them today.
- A 3D Analytic Framework for Visual Data Discovery - Nov 19, 2014.
A presented 3D Visual Analytic Framework enables Visual Data Discovery, and allows all discovery actions to performed inside 3D Unified Visual Data Representation Space.
- Interview: Philip Maymin, NYU on Why Sports should Embrace Analytics? - Nov 22, 2014.
We discuss how the increasing use of Analytics will change the game of basketball, the concern of Analytics ruining the game, significant trends, advice and more.
- Interview: Philip Maymin, NYU on How Optical Analytics will Revolutionize Basketball - Nov 21, 2014.
We discuss the emergence of Optical Analytics, its impact on NBA, challenges in integrating Optical Analytics into game strategy, the trade-off of analytical insights vs gut instinct and the impact on fan engagement.
- Interview: Joseph Sirosh, Microsoft on Azure ML and the Emerging Data Science Economy - Nov 19, 2014.
We discuss what distinguishes Azure ML from its intense competition, the online machine learning university, current maturity level of Big Data solutions, important skills for data scientists and more.
- Highlights and PPTs from the IEEE Big Data 2014 conference - Nov 23, 2014.
The IEEE International Conference on Big Data has quickly become a top-tier conference. Check the highlights and presentations from 2014 event, held recently Washington, DC, with about 600 attendees.
- Top stories for Nov 16-22: R, Hadoop make machine learning possible for all; Azure ML is the next big thing - Nov 23, 2014.
R and Hadoop make Machine Learning Possible for Everyone; Why Azure ML is the Next Big Thing for Machine Learning; IBM Watson Analytics - Will it Replace Data Scientists? 9 Must-Have Skills You Need to Become a Data Scientist.
Webcasts and Webinars
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science - Nov 25 and beyond - Nov 24, 2014.
Social Media to Actionable Insights, NoSQL and Big Data in the Government, NoSQL Database Architecture, All-vs-All: Correlation Using Spark/Hadoop, The 2015 Analytics Predictions Webinar, and more.
- Webinar: Data Mining: Failure to Launch [Dec 17] - Nov 24, 2014.
Learn how to get started with predictive modeling and overcome strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential. Next webinar is Dec 17.
- Bridgepoint Education: Director of Data Warehousing - Nov 23, 2014.
Lead the BI department, enabling and supporting the enterprise information and knowledge delivery systems and set the BI roadmap in support of the strategic direction of the organization.
- Bridgepoint Education: Director of Advanced Analytics - Nov 22, 2014.
Direct the development of game changing analytical and statistical solutions that enhance business knowledge, the development and deployment of models and algorithms to enhance business processes.
- Real Time Data Solutions: Data Analyst - Nov 22, 2014.
Work with engineers, product managers and web designers to deliver real time data mining solutions and help improving the quality of our products.
- LRRI: Senior Data Scientist - Nov 21, 2014.
Looking for a driven and visionary team leader in our data science division, Datalytic Solutions.
- RTDS: Senior Data Mining Developer - Nov 20, 2014.
Leadership role in designing and implementing new functionality for our real-time data-mining application, working with engineers, product managers, executives, and other designers across the full software-development lifecycle.
- Bain: Senior Advanced Analytics Specialist (Data Science) - Nov 20, 2014.
Join our growing Advanced Analytics Group, Bain's team of advanced analytics and primary research experts.
- Metis, a division of Kaplan: Data Science Lead - Nov 19, 2014.
An experienced data scientist to head the teaching of our data science bootcamps and to champion our growth in the field of data science education and training.
- Chubb: Predictive Modeler - Domestic US Focus - Nov 19, 2014.
Provides actuarial support in the Predictive Modeling Unit, work with predictive models for Automobile and Homeowners pricing and underwriting, and support Marketing, Appraisal, and other areas.
- Chubb: Sr. Positional Analytics Specialist - Nov 19, 2014.
Identifying and leading the integration of data sources that improve underwriting, pricing, service and appraisal functions.
Academic and Research positions
- SAS: Text Analytics Fellowship - Nov 22, 2014.
Open to PhD candidates in CS, related fields in US, this fellowship offers the opportunity to work closely with Text Analytics professionals to develop software. Apply by Jan 23.
- CMU: Teaching Faculty, Machine Learning - Nov 20, 2014.
Lead our efforts in teaching machine learning, both on-campus and online. As the world only academic Machine Learning Dept, we help define the standard curriculum for the field.
- Stanford: Postdoctoral Position in Data Mining of Human Activity - Nov 20, 2014.
Stanford University's newly-established Mobility Center has several openings for postdoctoral candidates interested in researching the intersection of human health and machine learning.
- EURECOM: Faculty Position in Data Mining and Machine Learning - Nov 20, 2014.
EURECOM, graduate school and a research center in communication systems, seeks qualified applicants interested in Big Data and Cloud computing for a tenured assistant professor position.
- U. Oklahoma: Faculty, Data Science and Analytics - Nov 20, 2014.
University of Oklahoma invites applicants for a tenure-track position in the field of data science and analytics. Applications will begin review on December 1st and will remain open until this position is filled.
- U. Strasbourg: Postdoc position in machine learning/data mining - Nov 19, 2014.
Postdoctoral position available to candidates interested in developing new methods for knowledge reuse in machine learning with the aim of improving understanding of models in different contexts. This position would last for one year, with the possibility for extension.
- White paper: How Analytics Is Shaping HR Role In Business - Nov 20, 2014.
Download a free white paper which focuses on the changing nature of HR in the workplace due to increased analytics and the improved ability to integrate data and systems, from the perspectives of 4 experts from top firms.
- Top KDnuggets tweets last week, Nov 17-23 - Nov 24, 2014.
Keep this #Python Cheat Sheet handy when learning to code;
Is #BigData The Most Hyped Technology Ever?
Huge advance by Stanford and Google: #AI software recognizes images, writes captions;
20 Insane Things That Correlate W/ Each Other.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 19-20 - Nov 21, 2014.
Spurious #Correlations - 20 Insane Things That Correlate W/ Each Other;
10 Most Profitable Industries According to #BigData;
MIT researchers show 5 clusters are enough for collab filtering;
Every publisher now a start-up, says NYT Top Data Scientist.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 17-18 - Nov 19, 2014.
Keep this #Python Cheat Sheet handy when learning to code;
Is #BigData The Most Hyped Technology Ever? No (at least not yet);
How to become a data scientist in 8 (not so) easy steps;
R and Hadoop make Machine Learning Possible for Everyone.
CFP - Calls for Papers
- Due Jan 9, Predictive Analytics World Business Chicago , Hyatt Regency McCormick Place June 8-11, 2015 (Speaker days June 9-10, 2015)
- Due Jan 9, Predictive Analytics World for Manufacturing Chicago , Hyatt Regency McCormick Place June 8-11, 2015 (Speaker days June 9-10, 2015)
- Due Feb 27, DATA ANALYTICS 2015, The Fourth Int. Conf. on Data Analytics , Nice, France. July 19-24, 2015
- Due Mar 20, Predictive Analytics World for Healthcare , Seaport World Trade Center Sep 27 - Oct 1, 2015 (Speaker days Sept 28-29, 2015)
- Due Mar 20, Predictive Analytics World Business Boston , Seaport World Trade Center Sep 27 - Oct 1, 2015 (Speaker days Sept 28-29, 2015)