What software is available for data mining?
Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro answers:
There are many commercial and open-source packages (see KDnuggets: Software).
Software suites are most popular. They generally offer many methods, including classification, clustering, and data preparation.
Specialized data mining software is also available for
- Classification: building models to separate 2 or more discrete classes using
- Clustering and Segmentation
- Statistical Analysis
- Text Analysis, Text Mining, and Information Retrieval (IR)
- Web usage mining: clickstream and log analysis
- and other data mining tasks.
KDnuggets was running annual polls on Data Mining Software Usage, which offer some measure of tool popularity -- here is the 2009 KDnuggets Data Mining Tools Used poll.
There are several surveys of data mining tools:
- Third Annual Rexer Analytics Data Miner Survey, examined the behaviors, preferences and views of 710 data miners.
- Second Annual Rexer Analytics Data Miner Survey, examined the behaviors, preferences and views of 348 data miners
- How to Choose a Data Mining Suite, by Robert Nisbet, DM Review, March 2004.
- Data Mining Tools: Which One is Best For CRM?, by Robert Nisbet, DM Review, January 2006.
- A Survey of Data Mining software Tools, by Michael Goebel and Le Gruenwald, SIGKDD Explorations, June 1999. Volume 1, Issue 1