- XGBoost, a Top Machine Learning Method on Kaggle, Explained - Oct 18, 2017.
Looking to boost your machine learning competitions score? Here’s a brief summary and introduction to a powerful and popular tool among Kagglers, XGBoost.
- KDD Impact Program to support Data Science projects with positive impact on society - Oct 17, 2017.
The KDD Impact Program is looking to fund projects that have potential for a significant impact on society, expand outreach of data science, and strengthen the community, with grants of $10k-$100k for each project. Submission deadline is Dec 1, 2017.
- Exclusive: Interview with Jeremy Howard on Deep Learning, Kaggle, Data Science, and more - Jan 13, 2017.
My exclusive interview with rock star Data Scientist Jeremy Howard, on his latest Deep Learning course, what is needed for success in Kaggle, how Enlitic is transforming medical diagnostics, and what Data Scientists should do to create value for their organization.
- Doctor of Business Administration/Data Analytics, Online at Grand Canyon University - Jan 11, 2017.
Offered in a convenient online format, this doctoral program empowers expert data analysts to spark new industry-wide innovation.
- 4 ways to learn about Deep Learning, Anomaly Detection and more Data Science topics online at Statistics.com - Jan 11, 2017.
Online courses at Statistics.com are small, with rich and engaging content that includes readings, videos, quizzes, homework, projects, and practical work with software.
- Data Hoarding and Alternative Data In Finance – How to Overcome the Challenges - Jan 9, 2017.
Big data craze inspires firms to save every possible bit of data, with the misconception that the more data you have, the better. Firms must keep data (for compliance purposes) or often aren’t sure what information they need to keep. This post looks at alternative data sources.
- What Insurers in Asia doing about their digital transformation? - Jan 8, 2017.
Digital transformation that allows insurers to become more agile and customer-facing is fuelling growth globally. But what are Insurers in Asia doing about their digital Read more »
- Interviews with Data Scientists: Claudia Perlich - Dec 4, 2016.
In this wide-ranging interview, Roberto Zicari talks to a leading Data Scientist Claudia Perlich about what they must know about Machine Learning and evaluation, domain knowledge, data blending, and more.
- IDentrix: Data Scientist - Dec 3, 2016.
Seeking a passionate Data Scientist with a proven record of building data driven solutions, who is interested in data mining and modeling specialized large and connected datasets.
- Data Science and Big Data, Explained - Nov 20, 2016.
This article is meant to give the non-data scientist a solid overview of the many concepts and terms behind data science and big data. While related terms will be mentioned at a very high level, the reader is encouraged to explore the references and other resources for additional detail.
- KDnuggets™ News 16:n41, Nov 16: Top 10 Amazon Books in Data Mining; Intuitive Explanation of Convolutional Neural Nets - Nov 20, 2016.
Also An Intuitive Explanation of Convolutional Neural Networks; Data Scientists vs Data Analysts - Part 1; How to Rank 10% in Your First Kaggle Competition.
- Data Avengers… Assemble! - Nov 20, 2016.
The Avengers are perfectly capable of defending the Earth from our worst enemies. But are they up to the task of taking care of our data? Read this terribly punny "opinion" piece to find out.
- HPE Haven OnDemand: Powerful Data Connectors for the Cloud and Enterprise - Aug 23, 2016.
HPE Haven OnDemand simplifies how you can interact with data, allowing it to be transformed into an asset anytime, anywhere. Find out how the Connector APIs can facilitate this interaction.
- Data Mining History: The Invention of Support Vector Machines - Jun 29, 2016.
The story starts in Paris in 1989, when I benchmarked neural networks against kernel methods, but the real invention of SVMs happened when Bernhard decided to implement Vladimir Vapnik algorithm.
- HPE Haven OnDemand: Powerful Data Connectors for the Cloud and Enterprise - Jun 24, 2016.
HPE Haven OnDemand simplifies how you can interact with data, allowing it to be transformed into an asset anytime, anywhere. Find out how the Connector APIs can facilitate this interaction.
- HPE Haven OnDemand Text Extraction API Cheat Sheet for Developers - Jun 10, 2016.
HPE Haven OnDemand provides a native API based on cURL calls, as well as numerous language-specific APIs, providing maximum flexibility for developers. This cheat sheet will cover the native and Python text extraction APIs.
- 2016 ACM SIGKDD Innovation and Service Awards - Apr 9, 2016.
ACM SIGKDD Innovation and Service Awards recognize outstanding technical innovations and outstanding professional contributions to the field of Big data, Data Mining, Knowledge Discovery, and Predictive Analytics.
- KDnuggets™ News 16:n12, Apr 6: Top 10 Essential Books; Perfect Data Science Interview - Apr 9, 2016.
Top 10 Essential Books for the Data Enthusiast; How to Compute the Statistical Significance of Two Classifiers Performance Difference; The Secret to a Perfect Data Science Interview; If Hollywood Made Movies About Machine Learning Algorithms.
- Adtech: Senior Director, Data Science - Apr 9, 2016.
We are conducting a retained search for a Senior Director, Data Science, based in NYC. It’s one the most attractive data science job openings in the digital advertising ecosystem right now.
- The Secret to a Perfect Data Science Interview - Apr 1, 2016.
How to interview a Data Scientist, in 5 steps. The secret method to answering every question perfectly is revealed.
- Top Big Data Processing Frameworks - Mar 4, 2016.
A discussion of 5 Big Data processing frameworks: Hadoop, Spark, Flink, Storm, and Samza. An overview of each is given and comparative insights are provided, along with links to external resources on particular related topics.
- KDnuggets Free Pass to Strata + Hadoop World San Jose 2016 - Feb 17, 2016.
Strata + Hadoop World is the leading event on how big data and ubiquitous, real-time computing is shaping the course of business and society. Win KDnuggets free pass to Strata + Hadoop World San Jose.
- Ensemble Methods: Elegant Techniques to Produce Improved Machine Learning Results - Feb 16, 2016.
Get a handle on ensemble methods from voting and weighting to stacking and boosting, with this well-written overview that includes numerous Python-style pseudocode examples for reinforcement.
- call to custom_permalink_js restored – only good permalinks allowed - Feb 13, 2016.
test of permalink validation
- test of bad permalink - Feb 13, 2016.
- New Tools Predict Markets with 99.9% certainty - Feb 13, 2016.
Predicting financial markets is a relatively new field of of research, it is cross-disciplinary, it is difficult and requires some insight into trading, computational linguistics, behavioral finance, pattern recognition, and learning models.
- Most Popular Slideshare Presentations on Big Data - Feb 5, 2016.
Hadoop, the cloud, and Microsoft Azure are just a few of the many topics covered by the top Big Data SlideShare presentations retrieved from the SlideShare API.
- Google’s Great Gains in the Grand Game of Go - Feb 1, 2016.
The game of Go has long stumped AI researchers, and, as such, solving it was thought to be years off. That is, until Google solved it earlier this week. Or did it?
- test sched next month - Feb 1, 2016.
test sched next month
- Test tutorial - Jan 30, 2016.
test sched for Jan 30
- How Big Data and Predictive Analytics can help manage climate change - Jan 1, 2016.
We review how Big data and data science can provide accurate analytics to help deal with climate change with tools like Global Forest Watch, Microsoft Research’s Madingley Model, and the Google Earth Engine.
- Everything You Need to Know about Natural Language Processing - Dec 20, 2015.
Natural language processing (NLP) helps computers understand human speech and language. We define the key NLP concepts and explain how it fits in the bigger picture of Artificial Intelligence.
- Improve Your Processes With Statistical Models. - Dec 19, 2015.
Get technical primer with best practices to interactively explore the patterns in your data, build useful statistical models of these patterns, and visually interact with these models.
- Big Data is Crowdledge, not 3V - Dec 5, 2015.
Crowdledge is defined as the knowledge that [weakly] emerges – and is, therefore, unexpected - from Big Data analysis of individuals’ digital footprints spontaneously left in the digital universe. It represents big data in better terms than 3Vs.
- Webinar: 5 tips to get more out of Data Lakes, Dec 16 - Dec 1, 2015.
Learn valuable tips to help optimize Big Data for agility and speed to insight; improve data accessibility, without the limitations of data warehouses, and prevent data sources from becoming data silos.
- PAW San Francisco super early bird offer will melt faster than snow - Nov 30, 2015.
Register by Friday, Dec 18 for PAW Business San Francisco while rates are frozen at up to $650 off of onsite prices. Check out with the KDnuggets code KDN150 for an additional $150 off (up to $800 off in total).
- Hiring? Approving Mortgages? It’s the Same Thing (Risk …) - Nov 14, 2015.
Traditionally hiring and approving mortgage are completely different problems. But, when you look at them from a data science perspective, both things do have similar characteristics.
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n33, Oct 14: top headlines - Oct 10, 2015.
testing scheduling of KDnuggets issues
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n32, Oct 7: Top 5 arXiv Deep Learning Papers, Explained; Best HBR articles on Analytics, Big Data - Oct 10, 2015.
Top 5 arXiv Deep Learning Papers, Explained; 30 best Harvard Business Review articles on Analytics, Big Data; Crushed it! Landing a data science job; Data science job market - what it's like.
- test permalink ending in space - Sep 23, 2015.
test bla bla
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Sep 22 and beyond - Sep 23, 2015.
Forecasting With Predictive Analytics, BI Personas, Data Mining - Failure to Launch, Using Data from Hadoop to Improve Your Business, and more.
- SlideRule: Data Science Course Mentor (online) - Sep 23, 2015.
Be an expert mentor for SlideRule online, self-paced Data Science workshops where participants learn with the help of a curated curriculum and 1-1 mentor guidance.
- Washington Post: Big Data – Senior Developer - Sep 10, 2015.
WaPo big data team is at the center of analytics-driven revolution; we are an agile, dynamic, high-performance team, building groundbreaking technologies to shape how we tell our stories to millions of readers.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 25-31: How to become a #DataScientist for Free; The R universe of Hadley Wickham - Sep 3, 2015.
How to become a #DataScientist for Free; #BigData is Out, #MachineLearning is in; The universe of Hadley Wickham, the Man Who Revolutionized R; Book review: Fundamentals of #DeepLearning.
- Can Data Mining Extract Value from your Personal Data (and should you get a piece of the action?) - Sep 3, 2015.
There are industries made out of the personal data, but content providers don't get their share. What if you are presented with the opportunity to sell your personal data for financial benefits? Find out more by taking the survey from datamilk.
- YCML Machine Learning library on Github - Aug 31, 2015.
YCML is a new Machine Learning library available on Github as an Open Source (GPLv3) project. It can be used in iOS and OS X applications, and includes Machine Learning and optimization algorithms.
- What is the success rate in Hadoop adoption? - Aug 31, 2015.
Hadoop is no more an unknown term for the big data analytics, it's to find its value return. Here, we tried to explore on the popular opinions of the Hadoop adopters, we also talk about current challenges for adoption.
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n28, Aug 19: How long at your Analytics job? Paradoxes of Data Science; Big Data Security - Aug 27, 2015.
New Poll: How long did you stay at your analytics job; Paradoxes of Data Science; Cognitive Computing Challenge: read a document, load database; Information; Security for Big Data.
- Top stories for Aug 16-22: Computing Challenge: read a document, load database; Paradoxes of Data Science - Aug 24, 2015.
Most viewed news items 50+ Data Science and Machine Learning Cheat Sheets - Jul 14, 2015. R vs Python for Data Science: The Winner is Read more »
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n25, Jul 22: Largest Dataset Analyzed? Big Data & the Dog Question; Impact of IoT - Aug 19, 2015.
New Poll: Largest Dataset Analyzed/Data Mined?; Cartoon: Big Data and the dog question; Impact of IoT on Big Data Landscape; Data is Ugly - Tales of Data Cleaning;
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 11-17: Data Science Breakthrough in avoiding overfitting; Top Big Data, Data Science influencers - Aug 19, 2015.
Understanding #Convolution in #DeepLearning; Top #BigData #DataScience influencers @hmason @hackingdata @kirkdborne @flowingdata; Data Science Breakthrough in avoiding #overfitting: The reusable holdout method; R Programming: Where are 50,000 R programmers?
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n27, Aug 19: Data Science Degrees; How to avoid overfitting; Largest Dataset Mined: trends - Aug 19, 2015.
Data Science, Analytics, Data Mining Online Degrees and C...; Poll Results: Where is Big Data? For most, Largest Datase...; 11 things to know about Sentiment Analysis; Recycling Deep Learning Models with Transfer Learning;
- Anaconda Data Science Platform for R, Python, or both - Aug 19, 2015.
Got R, Python, or both? Download conda, the leading package and environment manager for data science, which works with both R and Python packages.
- test permalink errors Aug 19 - Aug 15, 2015.
test case 1
- EARL2015 Conference for users, developers of R, London (Sep 14-16) and Boston (Nov 2-4) - Aug 15, 2015.
The primary focus of both London and Boston Conferences is the commercial use and application of R across a broad range of business sectors.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Aug 11 and beyond - Aug 10, 2015.
How Scale-Out and In-Memory Solve ETL, Data Mining: Failure to Launch, Harnessing the Hadoop Ecosystem, Leveraging Data for Effective Data Visualization, and more.
- Lavastorm Webinar, Aug 19: Leveraging Data for Effective Data Visualization - Aug 7, 2015.
Learn why data governance and a data framework are essential to visualization success; how to adopt an agile, self-service approach to data access, analytics and visualization; and tips for optimizing visualization tools through better data prep.
- Cartoon: Big Data and the dog question - Aug 4, 2015.
It used to be that nobody on the internet knew that I was a dog ... New KDnuggets cartoon examines the dog question in the era of Big Data.
- Mitra Capital: Data Scientist/Machine Learning Engineer - Aug 4, 2015.
Seeking an experienced Data Scientist to help create innovative technology solutions at the intersection of language analysis, data-driven insights and logic-based workflow.
- IEEE ICDM 2015 Call For Research and Service Award Nominations - Jul 23, 2015.
The IEEE ICDM awards recognize influential research contributions to the field of data mining, and major service contributions that have promoted data mining as a field and ICDM as the world premier research conference. Nominations due Aug 15.
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n03, Jan 28: Deep Learning Basics and “Flaws”; MetaMind; KDnuggets Pass to Strata - Dec 26, 2014.
highlights from this issue
- new post dec 18 - Dec 26, 2014.
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n02, Jan 14: Research Leaders on key trends, top papers; Exclusive NYTimes interview - Dec 26, 2014.
highlights from Jan 14 issue
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n01, Jan 7: Clever methods of overfitting; 5 Analytics Rules to cut thru the Hype - Dec 25, 2014.
highlights of this issue
- Test - Dec 16, 2014.
Test on July 15, 2015
- new post - Dec 16, 2014.
- new post - Dec 7, 2014.
- List of Fortune 500 companies - Dec 2, 2014.
- Boeing: Parallel Database Systems Engineer - Nov 25, 2014.
Looking for experienced software researchers and developers with emphasis on massively parallel processing database architectures as applied to diverse data sets in the aerospace industry.
- Boeing: Aerospace Systems Modeling and Simulation Engineer - Nov 25, 2014.
We are interested in those experienced in aerospace systems modeling and software development with emphasis on simulation and visualization of diverse information sets using diverse system architectures.
- Boeing: Advanced Technologist – Modeling - Nov 25, 2014.
Modeling, using formal languages for system specification, requirements formalization, application of formal methods to safety analysis, vehicle health management, and test-case generation.
- Boeing: Advanced Technologist - Nov 25, 2014.
Innovative researchers with interests and experience in methods for machine learning, pattern recognition, machine vision, multi-modal sensor data fusion and visualization.
- Most Popular Slideshare Presentations on Data Science - Nov 25, 2014.
Top SlideShare data science presentations provide a unique view on topics like data science management, using Python and NumPy in your data science project, and leveraging data science for enterprise big data.
- DePaul: Assistant Professor in Data Science - Nov 25, 2014.
Join one of the fastest growing and most highly recognized data science programs in the country - our graduate program in Predictive Analytics was ranked first in 2014.
- Surfing the Big Data Wave at H2O World - Nov 25, 2014.
Recent H2O World event showcased its open-source, scalable machine learning in the cloud, intended for people familiar with R but limited by its scalability. H2O can run on Hadoop and also on Apache Spark.
- KDnuggets 14:n31, Update: Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics; Cartoon: Thanksgiving Data Science - Nov 25, 2014.
Update: Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science; Cartoon: Thanksgiving and Turkey Data Science; 9 Must-Have Skills You Need to Become a Data Scientist, and more.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Nov 25 and beyond - Nov 24, 2014.
Social Media to Actionable Insights, NoSQL and Big Data in the Government, NoSQL Database Architecture, All-vs-All: Correlation Using Spark/Hadoop, The 2015 Analytics Predictions Webinar, and more.
- Webinar: Data Mining: Failure to Launch [Dec 17] - Nov 24, 2014.
Learn how to get started with predictive modeling and overcome strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential. Next webinar is Dec 17.
- Top KDnuggets tweets last week, Nov 17-23: Keep this #Python Cheat Sheet handy; Is #BigData The Most Hyped Technology? - Nov 24, 2014.
Keep this #Python Cheat Sheet handy when learning to code; Is #BigData The Most Hyped Technology Ever?; Huge advance by Stanford and Google: #AI software recognizes images, writes captions; 20 Insane Things That Correlate W/ Each Other.
- Cartoon: Thanksgiving, Big Data, and Turkey Data Science - Nov 24, 2014.
We revisit KDnuggets Thanksgiving cartoon, which examines the predicament of one group of fowl Data Scientists.
- Update: Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science - Nov 23, 2014.
We update our analysis of top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science. The largest groups grow faster than smaller ones, the number of discussions is growing, but engagement and comments are declining. Are groups reaching saturation?
- Top stories for Nov 16-22: R, Hadoop make machine learning possible for all; Azure ML is the next big thing - Nov 23, 2014.
R and Hadoop make Machine Learning Possible for Everyone; Why Azure ML is the Next Big Thing for Machine Learning; IBM Watson Analytics - Will it Replace Data Scientists? 9 Must-Have Skills You Need to Become a Data Scientist.
- Highlights and PPTs from the IEEE Big Data 2014 conference - Nov 23, 2014.
The IEEE International Conference on Big Data has quickly become a top-tier conference. Check the highlights and presentations from 2014 event, held recently Washington, DC, with about 600 attendees.
- Bridgepoint Education: Director of Data Warehousing - Nov 23, 2014.
Lead the BI department, enabling and supporting the enterprise information and knowledge delivery systems and set the BI roadmap in support of the strategic direction of the organization.
- Bridgepoint Education: Director of Advanced Analytics - Nov 22, 2014.
Direct the development of game changing analytical and statistical solutions that enhance business knowledge, the development and deployment of models and algorithms to enhance business processes.
- Real Time Data Solutions: Data Analyst - Nov 22, 2014.
Work with engineers, product managers and web designers to deliver real time data mining solutions and help improving the quality of our products.
- Interview: Philip Maymin, NYU on Why Sports should Embrace Analytics? - Nov 22, 2014.
We discuss how the increasing use of Analytics will change the game of basketball, the concern of Analytics ruining the game, significant trends, advice and more.
- 9 Must-Have Skills You Need to Become a Data Scientist - Nov 22, 2014.
Burtch Works details the top 9 data science skills that potential data scientists must have to be competitive in this growing marketplace from the perspective of a recruiter.
- SAS: Text Analytics Fellowship - Nov 22, 2014.
Open to PhD candidates in CS, related fields in US, this fellowship offers the opportunity to work closely with Text Analytics professionals to develop software. Apply by Jan 23.
- Interview: Philip Maymin, NYU on How Optical Analytics will Revolutionize Basketball - Nov 21, 2014.
We discuss the emergence of Optical Analytics, its impact on NBA, challenges in integrating Optical Analytics into game strategy, the trade-off of analytical insights vs gut instinct and the impact on fan engagement.