Tag: Big Data (120)
http likes 163
- Data Science and Big Data, Explained - Nov 20, 2016.
This article is meant to give the non-data scientist a solid overview of the many concepts and terms behind data science and big data. While related terms will be mentioned at a very high level, the reader is encouraged to explore the references and other resources for additional detail.
- Most Popular Slideshare Presentations on Big Data - Feb 5, 2016.
Hadoop, the cloud, and Microsoft Azure are just a few of the many topics covered by the top Big Data SlideShare presentations retrieved from the SlideShare API.
- Test tutorial - Jan 30, 2016.
test sched for Jan 30
- How Big Data and Predictive Analytics can help manage climate change - Jan 1, 2016.
We review how Big data and data science can provide accurate analytics to help deal with climate change with tools like Global Forest Watch, Microsoft Research’s Madingley Model, and the Google Earth Engine.
- Big Data is Crowdledge, not 3V - Dec 5, 2015.
Crowdledge is defined as the knowledge that [weakly] emerges – and is, therefore, unexpected - from Big Data analysis of individuals’ digital footprints spontaneously left in the digital universe. It represents big data in better terms than 3Vs.
- Most Popular Slideshare Presentations on Data Science - Nov 25, 2014.
Top SlideShare data science presentations provide a unique view on topics like data science management, using Python and NumPy in your data science project, and leveraging data science for enterprise big data.
- Highlights and PPTs from the IEEE Big Data 2014 conference - Nov 23, 2014.
The IEEE International Conference on Big Data has quickly become a top-tier conference. Check the highlights and presentations from 2014 event, held recently Washington, DC, with about 600 attendees.
- U. Luxembourg: Professor of Computer Science – Big Data - Nov 14, 2014.
Complement and strengthen the existing research expertise in the CS and Communication Research Unit, reinforce and expand the activities in the field of Big Data.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 5-6: Free access to Microsoft Azure Machine Learning; 2 ways Big Data can make us happier - Nov 7, 2014.
Good news for Data Scientists! Free access to Microsoft Azure Machine Learning; 100 Years of Computer Science and 10 academic papers that changed computing; Internet Saturated Nations; For every job-seeker in #BigData sector there are 3.6 jobs.
- Big Data Comic Explains the Current State of Privacy - Nov 7, 2014.
A new comic from Al Jazeera simplifies the Big Data concepts and educates on the privacy concerns based on recent technology advancements.
- Berkeley Michael Jordan says Big Data is transformative, not a delusion - Nov 7, 2014.
Machine Learning expert Michael Jordan is dismayed by the misleading "The Delusions of Big Data" title given to his interview, says Big Data not a delusion, but transformative, changing academia and society.
- Why the Fast Data world needs a proven and mature In-Memory Data Fabric? - Nov 6, 2014.
The exponential growth in demand for data processing is leading to immense interest in In-Memory Computing. GridGain In-Memory Data Fabric has now been accepted into the Apache Incubator program.
- STRATA + Hadoop World 2014 NYC Report - Nov 5, 2014.
Strata + Hadoop World this year included workshops on subjects like Spark, R, and Python, interesting keynotes, and impressive detailed technical talks on subjects on Hadoop and new trends in big data.
- Upcoming Nov – May Meetings in Analytics, Big Data, Mining, Data Science - Nov 3, 2014.
Coming soon: Text Analytics West, Data Analytics Week, H2O World, LT-Accelerate, ICDM, INFORMS, EGC, IKDD, PAW San Francisco, PAW for Workforce, and more.
- BigData TechCon San Francisco Report: Focus on Spark - Nov 1, 2014.
BigData TechCon SF 2014 covered a number of data technologies from the open source ecosystem through tutorials and classes. Spark and its libraries were a significant focus of the talks.
- Wikibon Big Data Capital Markets Day – Big Data NYC 2014 - Oct 30, 2014.
One of the biggest events at Big Data NYC 2014 was the insightful presentation by Jeff Kelly from WikiBon. We provide here the key takeaways.
- Cartoon: Halloween Costume for Big Data - Oct 28, 2014.
New KDnuggets cartoon looks at the appropriate Halloween costume for Big Data and its companion, No Privacy.
- Big Data & Analytics Innovation Summit, Australia: Day 2 Highlights - Oct 28, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data leaders from Paypal, Huawei and Qantas on day 2 of Big Data & Analytics Innovation Summit 2014 in Sydney, Australia.
- Big Data accelerates medical research? Or not? - Oct 26, 2014.
Take a look at how big data in healthcare brings big opportunities, but along with those opportunities come great risk if statistics aren't carefully applied to those large datasets.
- Top-Read Big Data Journal Open Access Articles - Oct 25, 2014.
Top-read open access articles include: Why Big Data Won't Cure Us, Predictive Modeling With Big Data: Is Bigger Really Better?, and A Data Scientist's Guide to Start-Ups.
- Big Data for Social Good IBM + Hadoop Challenge - Oct 20, 2014.
Use city data to develop great applications for social good and earn prizes in IBM's new Big Data for Social Good challenge, starting in November 10. More information on eligibility, terms, and prizes will be available at launch.
- Top stories for Oct 12-18: New Poll: Methodology for Analytics, Data Mining Projects? Big Data Is Not Big Context - Oct 19, 2014.
New Poll: Methodology for Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Projects? Big Data Is Not Big Context; Big Data on the Internet of Things; ADW, free software to measure semantic similarity.
- Big Data and Hadoop, Big Data Boot Camp LA - Oct 17, 2014.
Big Data Boot Camp LA provided attendees a comprehensive understanding of Big Data and Hadoop technologies. Sujee Maniyam provided a good technical overview of Hadoop and current trends. We provide key takeaways.
- Boston Data Festival Celebrates Big Data Community, Nov 3-8 - Oct 16, 2014.
Celebrate the big data community, see many world-class speakers, and participate in insightful events at this year's Boston Data Festival. The event takes place November 3-8.
- Arizona State University (ASU): Faculty Positions In Big Data Systems - Oct 14, 2014.
ASU Fulton Schools of Engineering have tenure track/tenured faculty positions; Areas of interest include: high performance and trusted systems for management, analytics, mining, and visualization of massive data sets.
- Book: Data Mining for Managers - Oct 14, 2014.
This book by a leading data mining consultant is meant for both practitioners and end users of data mining solutions, and it focuses more on the data and less on the math.
- Big Data Is Not Big Context - Oct 12, 2014.
Learn about common misconceptions when approaching big data problems, and how the ambiguity of human language requires more sophisticated techniques for more accurate understanding.
- Big Data & Analytics for Retail Summit 2014 Chicago: Day 2 Highlights - Oct 9, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data leaders from The Hershey Company, Gongos, Clarks, and Mediacom on day 2 of Big Data & Analytics for Retail Summit 2014 in Chicago.
- Big Data & Analytics for Retail Summit 2014 Chicago: Day 1 Highlights - Oct 8, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data leaders from Sony Pictures Entertainment, Macy's and Nuevora on day 1 of Big Data & Analytics for Retail Summit 2014 in Chicago.
- KDnuggets Free Pass to Big Data TechCon How-To Conference, Oct 27-29, San Francisco - Oct 3, 2014.
Win a free KDnuggets Pass for Big Data TechCon in San Francisco - the conference to learn HOW-TO accommodate the terabytes and petabytes of data, learn the latest big data technologies, mingle and network.
- Big Data and Humanitarian Efforts - Oct 3, 2014.
Discover ways that big data is impacting and improving humanitarianism, including ways it crowdsources accounts of events and disaster relief in the Philippines.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in September - Oct 1, 2014.
Boston DataFest and Analytics Street, Big Data Summits, PAKDD, and more meetings, DecisionIQ and Quantum Data Science, BS in Data Science from Ottawa, MS from RPI, and more.
- GDELT: Big Data of News, Conflicts, and Society - Sep 29, 2014.
What is happening in this world today? Obviously, it is impossible for us to read and analyze billions of news reports published every day. GDELT is designed to record, analyze, visualize and even forecast our planet.
- Apache Spark: O’Reilly Certification, EU Training, University Program - Sep 26, 2014.
Recent news on Apache Spark includes developer certification from O'Reilly, upcoming training workshops in EU by Databricks, and Spark tutorial events at major universities.
- INFORMS The Business of Big Data 2014: Day 2 Highlights - Sep 15, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data leaders from Accenture, Analytics Media Group, SAS and Intel on day 2 of INFORMS The Business of Big Data.
- What is Big Data – answers from thought leaders - Sep 12, 2014.
What do you think when you hear “big data”? Maybe take a moment and think about this, before you let all the opinions below influence you.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 3-9: What is Big Data – definitions from thought leaders - Sep 12, 2014.
What Is #BigData? Definitions from 40+ thought leaders; Fewer companies are hiring Data Scientists but #DataScience is still hot; Choosing the right estimator scikit-learn #CheatSheet; How do Twitter Analytics show followers gender, when they dont ask?
- Exclusive Interview: Imran Siddiqi, SAP on the Strategic Value Proposition of Big Data - Sep 11, 2014.
We discuss the impact of Big Data advancements on business strategy, value proposition of Big Data, importance of partnerships, key risks and mitigation strategy, how to win sustained patronage for Big Data projects and more.
- Most Viewed Big Data Talks at Videolectures - Sep 10, 2014.
Learn about topics ranging from applying big data to industrial settings to using machine learning on big data knowledge graphs from these big data lectures on videolectures.net.
- Hiring Data Scientists: What to look for? - Sep 9, 2014.
Know key characteristics of what makes up a good data scientist based upon the three authors’ consulting and research experience, having collaborated with many companies world-wide on the topics of big data and analytics.