- DrivenData: Box-Plots for Education - Nov 11, 2014.
DrivenData with ERS is seeking to improve budgetary strategy for public schools through this data science competition which aims to predict how budgets are allocated.
- SemEval Aspect Based Sentiment Analysis Competition - Nov 9, 2014.
User-Generated content has resulted in an increased interest in sentiment mining, and with this, aspect-based sentiment analysis (ABSA). Develop new techniques in ABSA for ABSA15.
- To Hire Quants, Fix Your Hiring Process - Nov 7, 2014.
Hiring talented quants requires an up-to-date hiring process including components like competitive salaries, special bonuses, expedient timelines, and that extra special touch to make your company stand out to quality candidates.
- DrivenData: Data Science Competitions for Social Good - Nov 4, 2014.
DrivenData plans to bring cutting-edge practices in data science and crowdsourcing to some of the world's biggest social challenges and the organizations taking them on.
- Boston Docker Global Hack Day and Meetup, Oct 30 - Oct 19, 2014.
Docker is an open platform for developers and sysadmins to build, ship, and run distributed applications. Join other Boston-area developers for Docker Global Hack Day #2 at O'Reilly Media in Cambridge, MA.
- Competition: Forecasting social network dynamic graph - Oct 6, 2014.
Forecast the creation and disruption of edges in social networks representing social platforms, mobile clients, or the research community. Competition runs until Nov 28.
- Mirador Open Data Competition - Oct 2, 2014.
This competition wants to get people interested in data-driven hypothesis making by offering a tool that is as intuitive and engaging as possible, while maintaining solid scientific and statistical foundations. Submissions due Oct 28.
- One-handed Keystroke Biometric Identification Competition - Oct 2, 2014.
Build a biometric keystroke classifier in this new competition to help identify the features that best predict one-handed typing samples. The prize for first place is a fingerprint scanner.
- COMAD India Graph Mining Programming contest - Sep 23, 2014.
Compete in the graph mining programming competition at COMAD 2014 and apply your skills to finding subcommunities in networks. Registration deadline is October 15th, and code must be submitted by October 27th.
- Interview: Joe Otto, Alpine on Selecting the Right Big Data Vendor - Sep 10, 2014.
We discuss Big Data vendor landscape, key relevant questions, Alpine's competitive differentiation, important qualities sought in data scientists, and more.
- Shifting CXO crowns and changing Analytics Leadership - Sep 3, 2014.
Learn about how the analytics landscape has shifted in recent years and how this has pushed the CXO to pursue higher levels of analytics competition to meet business needs.
- TEXATA Big Data Analytics World Championships, KDnuggets Discount - Aug 5, 2014.
The Big Data Analytics World Championship involves two online qualification rounds and a Live World Finals event held in Texas, USA in October 2014. Free registration for KDnuggets readers.
- Interview: Thomas Levi, PlentyOfFish on What does Big Data tell us about Romance - Jul 30, 2014.
We discuss interesting research on the state of romance in US, how PlentyOfFish is managing competition, personal journey from String Theory to Data Science, career advice and more.
- Innocentive Challenge: Novel Approaches for Predicting Life Expectancy - Jul 21, 2014.
Help develop novel methods for life expectancy prediction without using traditional medical records, invasive tests, or examinations in this Innocentive Challenge. Submissions due by August 4th.
- AlgoMost contest: Predicting future company acquisitions - Jun 11, 2014.
Develop an algorithm to predict which companies are most likely to be acquired in the current fiscal year.
- Interview: Santhosh Adayikkoth, CEO, BigInfo Labs on Data Relevance and Intel Partnership - Jun 6, 2014.
We discuss BigInfo Labs, the concept of "Data Relevance" in Big Data, experience of partnership with Intel, and BigInfo Labs' strategy for competitive differentiation.
- ICON Challenge on Forecasting and Scheduling - Jun 3, 2014.
ICON is a combined competition with both a machine learning component (predicting energy prices) and an scheduling component (using the predicted prices to schedule tasks on machines).
- Predict Soccer World Cup 2014 Winner, Get Prizes from RapidMiner - May 16, 2014.
Use a free edition of RapidMiner to have fun and bring sports predictions to another level by making a prediction of Soccer (Futbol) World Cup 2014, which starts on June 12 in Brazil.
- KDD Cup 2014 – Predicting Excitement at DonorsChoose.org - May 16, 2014.
Predict which Donor Choose projects will be exciting. 2014 edition of KDD Cup, the first data mining competition, is on Kaggle. Submissions due June 15.
- Has Predictive Analytics Crossed The Chasm? - May 15, 2014.
Recent study highlights the increasing market perception that Predictive Analytics leads to competitive advantage. The report also outlines current trends and challenges for Predictive Analytics.
- VAST Visual Analytics Challenge 2014: Visualization and Crime-Solving - Apr 5, 2014.
VAST Challenge 2014 involves three mini-challenges that focus on text, location, and streaming data analysis, and an overall Grand Challenge to test your skills. Submit entries before July 8.
- DataScience Central competition: Automate jackknife regression - Apr 3, 2014.
Data Science Central holds a competition to get statisticians more involved in Data Science - create a black-box, automated, easy-to-interpret, sample-based, robust technique called jackknife regression.
- SAS Competition for Top Data Scientist in UK, Ireland - Apr 2, 2014.
The contest, open to the academic and business communities, aims to find UK and Ireland best talent in analytics and data science. The goal is to produce an innovative forecast of energy demand.
- Innocentive: INSTINCT – The IARPA Trustworthiness Challenge - Mar 16, 2014.
This challenge investigates novel statistical techniques to identify neurophysiological correlates of trustworthiness. Deadline: May 5.
- Data Mining Cup 2014 – Student Competition – Starts - Mar 3, 2014.
The DMC Competition is one of the largest Data Mining contests in the world, focusing on students. Registration starts Mar 3, task details will be published Apr 2.
- Kaggle March Machine Learning Mania - Feb 14, 2014.
Can you turn 20 years of historical data into predictions for 2014 NCAA College Basketball Tournament, aka March Madness? Enter this Intel-sponsored tournament - predictions due Mar 19.
- EMVIC 2014: Eye Movements Verification and Identification Competition, 2nd call - Feb 11, 2014.
The goal is to determine how people may be identified based on their eye movement characteristic. No special equipment required - the organizers provide a dataset of eye movement recordings.
- PAN Competition: Plagiarism Detection, Author Identification, Author Profiling - Jan 15, 2014.
Take part in one of 3 tasks: Plagiarism Detection - given a document, is it an original? Author Identification - given a document, who wrote it? Author Profiling - given a document, what is author age / gender?