- Big Data accelerates medical research? Or not? - Oct 26, 2014.
Take a look at how big data in healthcare brings big opportunities, but along with those opportunities come great risk if statistics aren't carefully applied to those large datasets.
- Request: Crowdsourcing Health and Nutrition Tweets - Oct 20, 2014.
Help investigate the relationships between geo-location, age, gender, and nutrition through the medium of Twitter by labeling tweets for this research project.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 8-9: Clinical data determines only 10% of health; Kaggle hero 100-line Python code - Oct 10, 2014.
IBM #Watson presentation: Clinical data determines only 10% of health; A @Kaggle hero 100-line Python code for online logistic regression; The Winner of Kaggle Criteo Data Science on his Odyssey; For Data Viz lovers: Keynote by Tableau CEO Christian Chabot on "Art of Analytics".
- Mirador Open Data Competition - Oct 2, 2014.
This competition wants to get people interested in data-driven hypothesis making by offering a tool that is as intuitive and engaging as possible, while maintaining solid scientific and statistical foundations. Submissions due Oct 28.
- Top stories for Sep 21-27: Data Science is mainly a Human Science; Data Analytics for Business Leaders Explained - Sep 28, 2014.
Neural Networks and Deep Learning, free online book (draft); Data Science is mainly a Human Science; Data Analytics for Business Leaders Explained; Predictive Analytics in Health Care.
- Predictive Analytics in Health Care: Helping to Navigate Uncertainties and Change - Sep 23, 2014.
Predictive analytics can help navigate the many coming changes in US healthcare, including aging population, less money, impact of ACA (Obamacare) - especially on pharmaceutical and medical supplies, the R&D process, investment and new product launches.
- Health Integrated: Healthcare Data Scientist - Sep 18, 2014.
Creating state of the art analytics solutions that can be shared across product lines and managed care businesses.
- Exclusive Interview: Ajay Bhargava, TCS shares the Big Data Mantra: Harness Data and Harvest Value - Sep 4, 2014.
We discuss how to tame Big Data through harnessing data and harvesting value, the top Big Data priorities in Insurance sector, short-term and long-term needs of Healthcare Analytics, and more.
- KDD-2014 report, part 2: The Magic Module network and Privacy vs Big Data - Sep 2, 2014.
Here is part 2 of my report on KDD-2014, the biggest and the best Data Science meeting: The Magic Module genes, Privacy vs Big Data, and should we ask for consent of data subjects?
- Kaggle Epilepsy Seizure Prediction Challenge - Aug 28, 2014.
Create a forecasting system for predicting epileptic seizures in this Kaggle challenge to help improve the lives of epilepsy patients and win prizes. Competition ends on November 17.
- PAW: Don’t Miss Predictive Analytics World for Healthcare - Aug 21, 2014.
PAW Healthcare gathers industry leaders who share case studies and knowledge about predictive analytics making significant impacts in the healthcare industry - KDnuggets readers get a special discount.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Aug 19 and beyond - Aug 18, 2014.
Data Mining: Failure To Launch, Smart Metering, Hadoop, Data Science at the Command Line, Personalized Healthcare, Modern Regression Analysis Techniques, and more.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Aug 12 and beyond - Aug 11, 2014.
Wolfram Experts Live, InfiniDB, Data Mining: Failure To Launch, Market Basket and Customer Analysis with Spotfire, Personalized Healthcare, Data Science at the Command Line, and more.
- Big Data Innovation Summit 2014 Toronto: Day 2 Highlights - Aug 7, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data leaders from Aviva, Canadian Imperial Bank, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, and University Health Network on day 2 of Big Data Innovation Summit 2014.
- Big Data Innovation Summit 2014 Toronto: Day 1 Highlights - Aug 6, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data leaders from TD Bank, Public Health Ontario and First Nations Education Steering Committee on day 1 of Big Data Innovation Summit 2014 in Toronto, Canada.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Aug 5 and beyond - Aug 4, 2014.
Hadoop and Relational DB, Seductiveness of Big Data, SAS to R, Data Mining: Failure To Launch, Personalized Healthcare, Data Science at the Command Line, and more.
- UW: Research Scientist Positions - Aug 1, 2014.
Do research and hone your engineering skills in an interdisciplinary environment on projects related to mining biological data, health care analytics, mobile networks, or healthcare big data.
- ASE International Conference on Big Data Science 2014: Highlights from Workshops - Jul 31, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Data Science leaders from MIT, Georgia Tech, Microsoft Research and CUHK during workshops at ASE Conference on Big Data Science 2014 held in Stanford University.
- Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit 2014 London: Day 2 Highlights - Jul 31, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Predictive Analytics leaders from Spotify, ING, Quintiles, and Riot Games on day 2 of Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit 2014 in London, UK.
- VizRisk: HHS Visualization Challenge to Change Health - Jul 30, 2014.
VizRisk is the first US government prize competition that seeks to use visualizations of behavioral health data to inform personal and policy decisions.
- PAW: The Predictive Analytics World, Gov, Boston, Health - Jul 28, 2014.
This fall, Predictive Analytics World (PAW) produces three top-rated conferences for analytics professionals, managers, and practitioners who want to learn how to get maximum impact from predictive analytics in their field. KDnuggets discount.
- Big Data & Analytics in Healthcare Summit 2014 Philadelphia: Day 2 Highlights - Jul 25, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Healthcare Analytics leaders from Cigna, National Parkinson Foundation, Quintiles and NYU Langone Medical Center on day 2 of Big Data & Analytics in Healthcare Summit 2014 in Philadelphia.
- Big Data & Analytics in Healthcare Summit 2014 Philadelphia: Day 1 Highlights - Jul 24, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Healthcare Analytics leaders from GlaxoSmithKline, Excellus BlueCross BlueShield, Adventist Health and Mayo Clinic on day 1 of Big Data & Analytics in Healthcare Summit 2014 in Philadelphia.
- Interview: Piero Ferrante, BCBS on Why Healthcare is Rich in Data but Poor in Information - Jul 17, 2014.
We discuss role of analytics in healthcare payer firms, major challenges in leveraging healthcare data, shift to value-based payments, personal motivation towards analytics, career advice and more.
- PAW: Predictive Analytics World Healthcare, Oct 6-7, Boston - Jul 15, 2014.
To learn more about healthcare analytics, join us at Predictive Analytics World for Healthcare in Boston, and be sure to use special KDnuggets discount.
- Exclusive: Dave Marvit, Innovation Strategy Consultant, Fujitsu on Modern Sentiment Analysis using Ubiquitous Continuous Sensing - Jun 30, 2014.
We discuss traditional sentiment analysis vs. modern sentiment analysis, role of data science in Human Centric Intelligent Society, mainstream adoption of bio sensors and opportunities created by Big Data from ubiquitous continuous sensing.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jun 27-29: Google says Hadoop era is over - Jun 30, 2014.
Google says #Hadoop era is over, Google Cloud Dataflow can do much more; Machine learning, data mining, predictive analysis, and advanced analytics ~ same; Do you need a Masters Degree to become a Data Scientist? ; Larry Page: "if we data mined health care data, we could save 100K lives next year".
- Best Practice Partners: Principal Consultant, Healthcare Economics - May 16, 2014.
Lead the development of the client healthcare economics and risk adjustment services to assist in validating and ensuring compliance and accuracy of high-risk clinical profiles.
- Interview: Gary Shorter, Quintiles on Future of Heathcare and Big Data Skills - May 16, 2014.
We discuss how Big Data is shaping the future of Healthcare industry and advice for career in Analytics.
- Interview: Gary Shorter, Director of Data Science, Quintiles on Big Data for Healthcare - May 15, 2014.
We discuss the rising medical costs, how can Big Data help, key features of Quintiles Inforsario and Topological Data Analysis.
- Healthcare Analytics: Identifying Leaders and Key Trends - May 12, 2014.
We review recently released report on Healthcare perceptions towards BI/Analytics and share key insights into who is leading healthcare analytics in different categories and what are the key dominant trends.
- Interview: Xinghua Lou (Microsoft) on Mining Clinical Notes and Big Data in Healthcare - May 7, 2014.
We discuss data mining of cancer clinical data, LDA topic model, challenges in mining clinical notes, big data in healthcare and more.
- Data Mining Medicare Data – What Can We Find? - Apr 24, 2014.
Medicare released detailed reimbursement data for 2012: $77 billion paid to more than 880,000 health care providers, by doctor and procedure.We take an initial look and find large variances and potential indicators of fraud.
- Best Practice Partners: Principal Consultant, Clinical Innovations and Physician Engagement - Apr 16, 2014.
Lead the development and delivery of the client company clinical quality improvement and provider engagement services to assist clients in validating and ensuring improved outcomes.
- Cerner: Data Scientist - Apr 1, 2014.
Work on the cutting edge of Big Data, develop critical mathematical-model-based embedded systems that drive high-value business actions for our health industry clients.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 10-11: Deep Learning overview, free book; Best machine learning interview questions - Mar 12, 2014.
Deep Learning: Methods and Application, free book from Microsoft; Best interview questions to evaluate a machine learning researcher; Good list of Machine Learning Libraries in Python: scikit-learn, pandas, Theano, NLTK.
- Best Practice Partners: Data Scientist - Mar 4, 2014.
Help fix fundamental problems in the healthcare industry, leverage proprietary health care and claims data to create huge financial and societal benefit.
- January Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Companies and Startups Activity - Feb 3, 2014.
January 2014 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: DeepMind, Avigilon, TaKaDu, Nest, Path, FirstFuel, API Healthcare, Kana Software, ImgUR, IMS Health.
- IEEE Rock Stars of Big Data Presentations - Jan 7, 2014.
This event, held at the Computer History Museum in Oct 2013, attracted a sold-out crowd who listened to 9 excellent speakers and leaders in the field - here are the presentations.