- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 19-20: 20 Insane Things That Correlate with Each Other - Nov 21, 2014.
Spurious #Correlations - 20 Insane Things That Correlate W/ Each Other; 10 Most Profitable Industries According to #BigData; MIT researchers show 5 clusters are enough for collab filtering; Every publisher now a start-up, says NYT Top Data Scientist.
- Big Data Winter ahead – unless we change course, warns Michael Jordan - Oct 30, 2014.
We have to have error bars around all our predictions, says machine learning expert Michael Jordan. Otherwise it's gambling, and too many failed predictions can lead to big disappointment with Big Data - a Big Data Winter.
- Big Data accelerates medical research? Or not? - Oct 26, 2014.
Take a look at how big data in healthcare brings big opportunities, but along with those opportunities come great risk if statistics aren't carefully applied to those large datasets.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 17-19: Air traffic analyzed to predict Ebola spread; Cool public data for data science - Oct 20, 2014.
Air traffic data analyzed to predict Ebola spread; Some cool public data sources you can use for your next data science project; Data science can't be point and click ! Finding random correlation is too easy; Bayes Rule in an animated gif.
- Top stories in June: Does Deep Learning Have Deep Flaws? Cartoon: Big Data and World Cup - Jul 3, 2014.
Does Deep Learning Have Deep Flaws? Cartoon: Big Data and World Cup Football; KDnuggets 15th Annual Data Mining Software Poll: RapidMiner Continues To Lead; The Cardinal Sin of Data Mining and Data Science: Overfitting.
- Top stories for Jun 15-21 - Jun 22, 2014.
Does Deep Learning Have Deep Flaws?; Cartoon: Big Data and World Cup Football; Optimizing the Netflix Experience with Data Science; The Cardinal Sin of Data Mining: Overfitting.
- KDnuggets 14:n15, Analytics Software Poll – Analyzed; Cartoon: Big Data and World Cup - Jun 18, 2014.
Also Data Mining Cardinal Sin, KDnuggets Profile, CAP, and more analytics/data mining features, software, opinions, news, webcasts, courses, jobs, academic positions, publications, tweets, and CFP.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jun 13-15: Book: Data Classification: Algorithms and Applications - Jun 16, 2014.
Book: Data Classification: Algorithms and Applications; Top 10 Data Analysis Tools for Business; #BigData companies to watch selected by top analytics experts; The Cardinal Sin of Data Mining and Data Science: Overfitting.
- The Cardinal Sin of Data Mining and Data Science: Overfitting - Jun 14, 2014.
Overfitting leads to public losing trust in research findings, many of which turn out to be false. We examine some famous examples, "the decline effect", Miss America age, and suggest approaches for avoiding overfitting.